A few weeks ago I was watching my currently-favorite TV drama, Parenthood. This particular episode transported my memory back 25 years, to the last quarter of my senior year of high school. Scary, you say? Nope. I truly do have fond memories of my junior year, and especially fond memories of my
final year at Sky View High School.
final year at Sky View High School.
I didn't get to drive to school, I rode the bus. I wasn't academically gifted, athletic or popular. I wasn't a member of the student-body council or a class officer. I wasn't in a choral group, orchestra or marching band. But, I did have a handful of the best friends ever & I belonged to the Competitive Drama Team.
Here are the memories this episode of Parenthood evoked:
April of 1986. We took the State High School Drama Championship. My piece was a dramatic interpretation called The Absurd and The Insane by Thomas Alexander, pretty dark piece. It was about a teenager in an asylum, the victim of incest, who strangled her little sister and killed her father.
I think I must have gravitated towards that piece because it was the polar opposite of my happy-go-lucky, innocent life.
(I am seated front row, right side . . . yes Chelle, my other left)
I am not positive, but pretty sure that right after getting home from this wonderful win, I went to my senior prom. The friends in the picture with me were all friends from drama. We look tired too, like we'd been competing. This was the only prom I went to, it was so appropriate that this be my one.
So there is a quote from the episode of Parenthood that I loved. Loved so much that I kept rewinding and playing it back until I could get every word.
"It's not stupid. I love it. I'm so excited. I mean of course it's dumb, it's dorky, it's corny, it's prom. But it's the story you'll always tell. It's an experience you won't be sorry you had, no matter if it's good or bad. And it's just a beautiful, sentimental way of saying goodbye to high school. And I love that you're doing it." ~ Sarah Braverman to Amber
So here's to Prom and Drama, or the Drama of Prom. I love that I did it.
April of 1986. We took the State High School Drama Championship. My piece was a dramatic interpretation called The Absurd and The Insane by Thomas Alexander, pretty dark piece. It was about a teenager in an asylum, the victim of incest, who strangled her little sister and killed her father.
I think I must have gravitated towards that piece because it was the polar opposite of my happy-go-lucky, innocent life.
In my scrapbook I had typed up (on an electric typewriter) these thoughts,
"This is how, after 9 competitions, our year in Competitive Drama finished. This victory was the very first in Sky View's 22 years. I guess all the hours of hard work paid off. I can still feel the absolute fear that swept over me in my first round of my very first competition. My palms were clammy, I couldn't breath, my heart was pounding so hard and I wished that I could just leave or better yet, get out of Drama. I sure am glad I didn't because look at what I was involved in; A NUMBER ONE COMPETITIVE DRAMA TEAM FROM SKY VIEW HIGH SCHOOL!!"
(the newspaper says the meet was in March, it's a typo, it was April 25 & 26)
(I am seated front row, right side . . . yes Chelle, my other left)
I am not positive, but pretty sure that right after getting home from this wonderful win, I went to my senior prom. The friends in the picture with me were all friends from drama. We look tired too, like we'd been competing. This was the only prom I went to, it was so appropriate that this be my one.
So there is a quote from the episode of Parenthood that I loved. Loved so much that I kept rewinding and playing it back until I could get every word.
"It's not stupid. I love it. I'm so excited. I mean of course it's dumb, it's dorky, it's corny, it's prom. But it's the story you'll always tell. It's an experience you won't be sorry you had, no matter if it's good or bad. And it's just a beautiful, sentimental way of saying goodbye to high school. And I love that you're doing it." ~ Sarah Braverman to Amber
So here's to Prom and Drama, or the Drama of Prom. I love that I did it.
2 comments:
i remember loving this picture when i was little...wanna know why?
i'll tell you....
i was in love with her lace gloves.
i mean, seriously, how cute are they?
hahaha.
thanks for sharing!
(and did you mean that you were on the right side of that picture, or were you pretending you were on the stage...stage left.)
don't you know that I am always on a stage Chelle . . . I don't have to pretend :)
but really, it is my OTHER left . . .
I thought you should have really commented on my beautiful blue faux satin dress . . . or the fact mom made my dress :) I loved that dropped-waist, side-tie dress.
Post a Comment