Friday, January 29, 2010

Creative Cookin'

I know what we made tonight is not original, only original to me because I didn't use a recipe. I'm a pretty good cook, follow recipes most of the time, add my own touch of ingredients to most. My kids aren't too picky, most of the time I just can't think past the usual 5 recipes I rotate through for our family dinners. So tonight was a fun treat for me and the kids, they loved dinner.

I wasn't sure what to make, had a loaf of Maverik French Bread (seriously, I love their french bread), and some Fresh Spinach I needed to use. We already had spaghetti with my homemade sauce earlier in the week, my kids don't like lasagna . . . I was almost stumped. I found bottled Alfredo Sauce in the pantry, a pound of Mild Italian Sausage and bag of shredded Mozzarella Cheese in the freezer and set about making our concoction.


Sliced the loaf of bread in half, lengthwise and slathered each half with about a third of the Alfredo sauce.


Browned the mild Italian sausage with a small, diced onion. Once fully cooked, added chopped, fresh spinach.


After spinach was wilted, topped each half of the bread with equal portions of meat mixture and about 3/4 to 1 cup of cheese.


Wrapped each with aluminum foil, not completely closed, but around the crust to keep some moisture in without making it soggy.


Baked at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Just enought to heat all the way through, making the crust crispy, but not hard.


Sliced it up for the kids to eat pizza style.


Thumbs up from the kids!


Even got pinkies up and silliness! They loved it!

4 comments:

chelle. said...

that looks delicious...you'll have to make it for me...and count on malcolm for silliness. well, actually, count on all three of them. too cute. you should check out the other videos on vimeo. malcolm is hilarious.

Kings said...

Wow, you're lucky your kids will eat spinach and try new things. That looks delicious, but my kids wouldn't have touched it with a ten foot pole! :)

Nuestra Familia said...

That looks so good. We already had dinner but i'm still hungry. I was reading it to Gabby and she asked if we could have that right now! great ideas

K J and the kids said...

Where did you go ?
Well, no place....but for some reason bloglines hasn't picked up any of your blogs. I thought you just quit blogging and facebooked it like everyone else. How wonderful to see you didn't :)
Now I've got to go catch up with your beautiful family.