Monday, January 25, 2010

Spaghetti Sauce on a Whim

I had some really, really ripe Roma tomatoes and wanted to do something with them before they started to rot. I couldn't think of anything the kids would want to eat in the next couple of days, so on a whim tonight I made some spaghetti sauce, my own creation.
I started with a few tablespoons of olive oil, and a huge diced onion. I then went to town with odds and ends I had in the veggie bins in the fridge - sliced up six stalks of celery, and few whole carrots and diced up three red peppers. Then added about 10 Roma tomatoes diced up nicely and the typical Italian seasonings - basil, oregano, garlic, rosemary (I heart this in anything), thyme, sea salt, and fresh ground pepper.



I let that simmer together for the better part of an hour - yum, it smelled so good! I wasn't sure whether to leave it in it's more whole form or blend it up . . . I went for the blend and it turned out beautiful and so yummy (I think I could drink it like V-8)! I'm freezing it . . . I got a few pints from it all, left a little bit in the fridge to let the kids have tomorrow for lunch. I love that it ended up being more orange than red - that's going to have to be my signature!

1 comment: