My sweet Jesse for his entire life, which is just over 7 years so far, has never, ever seen me wear earrings. We've never talked about body piercings, figured that is still many years off. But the cute boy brought me home a pair of earrings as a souvenir from his camping trip to Island Park. He was so excited, told me he thought I would cry when I saw them . . . just couldn't bring myself to tears, a little chuckle though. A pair of flashy, metallic orange, cottonwood leaves, with gold filled French ear wires. Did you know that the cottonwood leaf stands for happiness and generosity? Now you do, and these earrings were both happy and generous.
Not knowing if I'd actually be able to do it, I planned my Sunday wardrobe around these orange gems. Jesse kept asking me if I was going to wear them, I promised I would. Come time to leave for church I tried to wiggle the "French ear wire" through where the original holes in my ears should have been . . . there was much resistance on the backside. So I went looking for a safety pin and you know where I am going with this, I re pierced my ears, just so my baby-boy Jesse could see me wear his gift.
Dave snickered, even Jesse snickered a little. I felt ridiculous, but I wore them to church and still have them on, 6 hours later. They'll end up in my special jewelry box. I will try to make an effort to wear them on occasion, for Jesse. But other than that, my piercings shall remain empty. Now if I could just anticipate the next souvenir gift that might come home. :)
3 comments:
I need to read your blog more often. You are delightful. Straight across the board delightful. Uhmmm...are you losing weight? ~~sheesh~~ with the darling.
Ah, what a cute story and the cute things we do for our kids. Very cute!
I just love this story!!
Post a Comment