Sunday, October 28, 2012

A Lesson Learned . . .

I love being a mom. I love days when I realize my kids "get it", life lessons taking hold. I love all the wonderful "teachers" my kids have had; preschool, school, church, sports, neighbors, my list could go on. I love seeing my kids grow, mature, care, fight for independence, learn.

We are blessed to live just a block away from our church building. Today Malcolm came home first, about 15 minutes before the rest of us finished up and made it home. Upon my arrival, I noticed the recycling bin, which is usually packed to overflowing until I take it out or ask someone to take it out, was empty. I thought that Dave had noticed and taken it out. What a nice, attentive guy my husband is.


Then I noticed the empty kitchen sink, which had held a couple of dirty dishes before church. Again, I gave my dear husband credit for being so on the ball.



I wandered up to my room to change clothes and noticed that my bed, which was left in an unmade mess this morning, perfectly made. At that moment I was grateful we lived so close to the church and when my hubby didn't feel like sticking around for Sunday School he could come home and clean.

Then ding-ding-ding in my head, I noticed the trend. At each of these sites of service, there was a white paper heart. Not only did that bring a smile to my face, but to my insides and a rush of love to my heart for my dear, feisty, middle child.

For unknown to me, today's lesson for Malcolm at church was, "I Can Follow Jesus Christ by Serving Others". At the end of his lesson, his teacher challenged the class to start a "Service in Secret Club". He was given 3 paper hearts to place at the sight of a secret act of service he performed. Malcolm is a great helper, generally. He takes care of his daily chores without me asking. He'll help with other chores when I ask most of the time. I had yet to see him actually take the initiative and just do something, not assigned.

I am going to give Malcolm back his hearts to continue his "Service in Secret Club". He is shy about receiving praise, he also isn't one for affection, but I think a thank you and just the fact he could do something to surprise someone is enough for him. I hope this goes on for a while. I will be saving, maybe even multiplying, those 3 white paper hearts and encouraging him over, and over, and over. 

3 comments:

chelle. said...

two things:
first, love that kid.

second, love that you called dave out about not going to sunday school.

hahaha.

KJlovesBubba said...

. . . everyone knows bubba doesn't do Sunday School. that's why his callings are assisting the bishopric, so they can keep him in check :)

K J and the kids said...

(holding back tears)
THIS. is why I need to send my kids to church. (sniff sniff)

Ok. totally serious. that brought tears to my eyes. What a sweet and thoughtful kid.

P.S. after you give him his hearts back....send him to my house.