Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Dem Bones, Dem Bones . . .

Almost a year after Lillie broke her arm,
Malcolm succeeded in having the second broken bone in our family.
Last Tuesday morning, my neighbor-friend & I decided
to go on a walk with the kids around Oquirrh Lake.
We hadn't even left my friend's driveway when Malcolm
took a fall off his bike. He cried, he is a crier so I didn't think
much of it. He was holding his thumb,
so I went and took a look at it. It did look odd to me,
but he seemed to be okay in holding onto his
handle bars and so off we went.
3+ miles, about an hour later he was still complaining.
Once home, I told him that if it was still hurting after preschool,
another 5 hours later, I'd take him to get it checked out.
Just to make sure he wasn't faking the injury,
I told him the doctor would have to stick a big needle into his thumb to
get rid of the swelling. I know, not my greatest "mom" moment.
Within a half hour of those words, by the look of pain on his face
and the way he was holding his thumb, hand & arm, I knew we needed
to get it checked sooner than after preschool. Off we went to Instacare.
Well, after the doctor painfully moved around his thumb and
x-rays were taken, it was found to indeed be broken. 
Just a small fracture, just a hair above the growth plate in his thumb.
I was relieve that I didn't waste $45 . . . seriously, terrible mom!
and Malcolm was relieved to get his thumb wrapped-up on a splint.
Now a week later, they like to wait for swelling to subside before casting,
he is armed with a blue cast, his choice. He has also been warned
against using said full-arm cast as a weapon. The possibility of going to
Legoland lies in the balance. Yes extreme consequence,
but with his temperament, extremely necessary.
Fortunately for us, the cast only has to stay on two weeks.
Here is Malcolm is all his glory . . . if he wasn't so darn cute!






Can I just say that I love the color of this boy's eyes,
and I am a little jealous of how quickly he has tanned-up!

No comments: