Monday, June 27, 2011

radKIDS . . .

I know I need to catch up on my vacation blogs, but this was so awesome I just needed to post it as soon as I could. So pardon my interruption!
I had no idea what radKIDS was before it was announced that Jesse's class was going to be trained in it. I am so grateful that Jesse happened to be in the same class as the daughter of the school's one and only trained instructor. Usually this "Personal Empowerment Safety Education" program is taught to 4th graders in our school. For Jesse to learn this at this age is a bonus.
From radKIDS:
". . . A radKID is a cool kid that doesn't let anyone hurt them! You know why? Because radKIDS know three things that only radKIDS know. We call them the radKIDS rules. . . the first one is; "No One has the Right to Hurt You," because you are special. You are so special that we don't even know what you are going to be when you grow up, and that is cool because you can be anything you want to be.
radKIDS also know that, as a radKID you don't have the right to hurt anyone else, UNLESS someone is trying to physically hurt you, and then you have the right to STOP THEM, and radKIDS learn how to stop anyone who tries to hurt them.
The last thing that all radKIDS know is probably the most important thing, do you know what it is? All radKIDS know that if anyone ever tries to hurt you or has hurt you before, "IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT." It's never your fault when someone hurts you, tricks you or makes you feel bad. It's their fault for hurting you. So, since it's not your fault you can tell.
As a radKID, you can tell because, NO one has the right to hurt you, and it's not your fault."
Jesse learned he needed a plan. We needed to decide on a safety plan as a family with includes a family password. He learned what an emergency is. How to stay calm if there was a real emergency he needed to call 9-1-1 for. He was drilled on what questions he might need to answer for the 9-1-1 operator. He learned how to look for an escape route. He learned what a stranger is, most people are strangers. He was taught that there are good and bad people and to trust his feelings. He learned that bad people might try to use "tricks" to get him to go with them. But to always remember his radKID PLAN and that it's OK to say "NO" to a grownup. He learned who would be and to go to a trusted grown-up. He knows what good, bad and uncomfortable touch is. How to stay safe in practically any situation, whether home, at school, out shopping . . . it is just amazing how much information and knowledge this kid has been given. Empowerment. A base of self-safety that he can continue to build on.
Here are videos and some pictures from his graduation.






1 comment:

K J and the kids said...

Ok first of all. VERY cool that he got to participate in that.
2nd. I think Dave has some issues :)
and finally. I want to have freedom to punch someone (padded of course) as hard as I can.
:)